Holiday Season (November 2000 - January 2001)
Holiday travel and job changes prevented us from doing much sailing.

Saturday, October 28, 2000: Installing the Second Anchor, Part II

Dad came down for another visit, and I once again drafted him to work on the boat with me. Back in June, I had ordered 50 feet of chain from West Marine to use with our second anchor, and the barrel of chain had been sitting in our garage for months. We hauled it out to the boat, pulled out the main anchor chain and rhode, then installed the new, second rhode and chain in the forward locker beneath the main anchor rhode and chain. This process was fairly laborious, particularly since I piled the rhode too close to the windlass the first time around, so that the main chain wouldn't feed freely into the chain locker. I had to pull everything out and do it again, taking care to arrange all the line in such a way that it wouldn't block the windlass. Even now, I'm concerned that the chain might not feed into the locker cleanly next time we use it, but I don't think this poses any major safety hazard -- it's just annoying.

Sometime in the past month, I had discovered that one of the fenders on the starboard side was ruptured, most likely from having been crushed between the boat and the dock during Hurricane Gordon. Dad and I took it to West Marine, and I asked them if these fenders carried any sort of trade-in value. To my great surprise, they informed me that my Taylor fenders carry a lifetime warranty against splitting or bursting. The first West Marine didn't have a replacement in stock, but they called the West Marine further up the street, and that store did. We drove over, took the old fender into the store, and spoke with the manager about how the exchange works. He said, "You leave the old one here, and take the new one." I said, "So there's no paperwork? No charge?". "Nope." Now THAT'S a warranty!

Given that it didn't look like the boatyard would be able to replace the toerail and repair the fiberglass damage any time soon, I decided that it might be a good idea to fix the sharp edges of the damaged toerail. I used my big cable clippers to cut the pointy pieces of metal away, then I pounded the rest of the metal back flat with a hammer. Dad then suggested that we tie some old rope over the area to provide some padding in case any sharp edges remained. When we were done, the repair job looked pretty good.

Sunday, October 29, 2000: Another Daysail

Dad, Theresa, and I took the boat out for a few hours Sunday afternoon, taking advantage of some pleasant afternoon winds and a favorable tide. We found the shallow spot at the outer marks of the Pass-A-Grille channel, but had no problems getting through either way. The sun sets early in the fall, though, so we didn't stay out long, and made it back just before dusk.

November 2000 to January 2001: Job Stuff

After much procrastination on her new employer's part, Theresa took a job as a manager for the biotech division of Smith & Nephew, which has local offices just up the street in Largo. We were both fairly preoccupied with the associated changes (like converting the guest bedroom into a separate office for her), and with the usual holiday travel, so we didn't do much more than check on our boat a few times during the entire three months. In retrospect, this was a real shame because Florida's best cruising season is November through April.

This page has been visited times.
2000-2001 Robert M. Freeland II. All rights reserved.
Changes last made on: Sat, Oct 27, 2001
Click here for contact information.